DIY Painted Tile

So it all started at home with some ugly flesh colored tile. It was in my front entry and planked on both sides with hardwood. I always just covered it with a rug but then I had an A-HA moment! As a family we hardly use the front door because our garage is in the back of the house, so it's not a high traffic area. I could't afford nor did I have the time to rip it all up and retile so I thought why not paint it? What's the worst that can happen? I researched it online a bit and then just committed! With my day job I sell a product called Cottage Paint (I'll do a whole other post on that later, but in the mean time you can check it out here www.cottagepaint.com) It was perfect for the situation at hand-less expensive, DIY and (near) instant gratification!

Step 1- Clean the tile
Step 2- Base Coat (Charcoal color)
Step 3- Second coat of Base Coat
Step 4- Stencil (white color)
Step 5-Top coat (polyurethane)

   
I must reiterate how important the top coat is!!! This paint in particular is intended to be applied without sanding OR priming, AWESOME! Because of this, it requires some sort of top coat for durability. Either a wax or polyeurethane, a polyurethane will always be more durable and more water resistant. My gracious husband ended up doing 3 coats of a satin water based Polyurethane when it was all said and done and it's held up beautifully! I did still end up placing the rug over top the finished product but I love it more every time I see it! A similiar stencil can be found on Etsy from shop PearlDesigntudio 

TILE28 ReusablSe Laser-Cuto Flor Step or Wall Tile Stencil




My project took 2 days but the beautiful thing with cottage paint is its fast dry time. Cottage Paint is a water based product that dries in about 20 minutes! It's intended for antiquing furniture but when you're thinking outside of the box, anything is possible! Oh and did I mention how much I HATE to paint 😣 I've found that I'm not very good at it, don't have the patience for it and you typically need a steady hand? So if I can do it, so can you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grays, Grays and Grays OH MY!

Farmhouse...COLOR

How to choose the right color