To swag or not to swag?

About 4 years ago we dove head first into a kitchen remodel and it was the best decision we ever made! The problem is that I work at a design center, meaning that the wheels are always turning. My most recent idea is to change the lighting in my dining room. When we did the remodel it made a more open concept as we took down the wall separating the kitchen from the dining room. The easy answer and most cost effective at the time was to replace the lighting with 2 matching flush mount fixtures.  Now I'm thinking of adding a chandelier above my dining room table. Before you roll your eyes, hear me out. It was on clearance from Pier1, rustic wood beads and I'm not even sure it's big enough but it would be a change! I'll have to swag  the chain in order to center it above the table and might need to add a medallion to the original hole in the ceiling but those are just thoughts...here is the before-


I also think the light I have mounted in the corner would be too much but it's just plugged in so I can easily remove that one. I love the painted canvas to the right as it was a wedding gift from my husband but I'm contemplating taking down our rustic "EAT" which we had made from old flooring. The new chandelier is more feminine and might make the space more busy so I'm not sure I need anything at all on that wall. Maybe a mirror to reflect more light?

UPDATE...



 

We kind-of had to work backwards with this project since I wanted to center the light above the table.




But once we found that center spot we then decided how much swag we wanted and cut the chain/wire from there.
At some point I may go back and add a celling medallion to help cover the imperfections with the hole in the ceiling but my husband claims he doesn't "get along" with lighting projects and we would have to take everything apart again to add a medallion...so I think we'll wait a bit.


I was nervous about the swag but I couldn't be happier with how it turned out!!  I may still consider switching out our EAT for a mirror to reflect more light but for now EAT stays.






 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grays, Grays and Grays OH MY!

Farmhouse...COLOR

How to choose the right color